Many companies are frustrated by the lack of visibility into their overall application development process. In other words, they don’t have enough “app vision.” But it’s not that easy to get it. The bigger the IT organization, the more likely they have multiple stakeholders, tools, platforms, and processes. After talking to many of our customers, we compiled the top 5 tips for achieving app vision.
- Integrate existing lifecycle tool investments within an automated SDLC. You need to have a standard development process that helps you understand what’s going on. But it also needs to be flexible enough to have localized processes and different tools “plug in” so you have complete app vision.
- Automate a lifecycle process with practitioner tool flexibility. Don’t be coerced to change your processes and systems to fit a single vendor’s toolset. You should be able to get app vision with the tools, processes, and platforms that you want.
- Create total clarity with process metrics such as cycle time and duration, in addition to data metrics. App vision is more than development data like the number of defects or baselines. You also need visibility into process metrics, like cycle times and lag times between development phases.
- Ensure role-based accessibility to relevant information at the right time. You have to serve relevant information to the right people. You have to give them app vision when they need it. You can’t expect them to dig around a data warehouse to find the right information.
- Empower the team and contributors; think beyond specific tools. Serena’s Orchestrated ALM Dashboard is just one example of a solution that goes beyond specific tools. It gives you app vision into both the development data and process metrics across all your tools.