When you send an important package through the postal service, you want to ensure it safely reaches the intended recipient. So you buy insurance, or you request a tracking number, or a receipt notification. You don’t want to risk your item getting lost or stolen. And you want peace of mind that the package arrived undamaged.
The same is true for transferring files. When you send photos, music, documents and other files, you want to know that it arrived safely and securely. This is how asolution can help. Whether or not you’ve made New Year’s resolutions for 2013, resolve today to rid yourself of file transfer anxiety for good!
We’ve identified the top three managed file transfer () benefits for 2013.
1. Cut file transfer costs. File transfers are more costly and time-consuming than they might first appear. Developing custom ad hoc solutions often appears to be the fastest and most efficient way to address file transfer requirements. However, over the long term, this may not hold true. Many ad hoc file transfer solutions have little to no upfront cost, but can cost an organization down the road. If each employee uses a different method for transferring files, IT is pained with troubleshooting each method. The cost add up quickly:
- debugging scripts with insufficient error handling,
- babysitting unreliable methods, and;
- compensating for file transfer solutions that can’t keep up with demand.
These issues highlight the need for a more reliable, comprehensive approach to file transfers. With a single, common file transfer platform that scales to handle the volume of file transfers within your organization, you can control costs. MFT solutions offer:
- Rapid deployment of new file transfer workflows,
- better management and reporting,
- reduced development and troubleshooting costs,
- improved security, and;
- increased responsiveness to changing business and technology conditions.
For more information on how to reduce operational costs with managed file transfer, read our previous blog post.
2. Improve compliance. Complying with regulations is a necessary part of business, and file transfers are no exception. Each organization has its own rules and policies in place, to:
- protect the confidentiality of data,
- ensure critical information is not tampered with, and;
- demonstrate that proper controls are in place when transferring files.
Managed file transfer solutions like FileXpress have been designed and developed to comply with security best practices.
3. Streamline integration. Not every business takes advantage of the many ways to organize, integrate and analyze business data. The reason is at least partially due to the difficulties encountered trying to reliably transfer data between applications. To improve application integration, organizations need a platform for file transfer that is readily configured to meet new requirements and provides commonly needed features, such as error handling, security and logging. Application integration and data exchange can enable innovative ways of working with information. Managed file transfer solutions can enable reliable and scalable data exchange that is essential for leveraging the maximum value from your data resources.
Now your turn: did we miss anything? Share one of your favorite MFT benefits in the comments!