The journey into the future continues with Visual COBOL R4

Visual COBOL R4 launches on new date of 15th June 2011. This release packs latest technologies that support new platforms including mobile, more language and IDE features to deliver even greater more developer productivity improvement. It also includes the much anticipated COBOL for JVM – the fastest way to Java.

Visual COBOL R4 launches on new date of 15th June 2011. This release packs latest technologies that support new platforms including mobile, more language and IDE features to deliver even greater more developer productivity improvement. It also includes the much anticipated COBOL for JVM – the fastest way to Java. 

Join us for the live launch webinar on 15th June and hear from customers already taking their application to the cloud and mobile platforms, discover the freedom of deploying single source code to JVM, .NET and the cloud, and put your questions to a Micro Focus expert panel.

Register here http://visualcobol.microfocus.com/register/event2.php and continue your journey into the future with Visual COBOL R4.

SilkTest 2010 News

Announcing the general availability of SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2.

This latest version provides a localized installation, UIs and technology for the Japanese market. It also provides important currency enhancements to further underline industry leading support for automating Web 2.0 applications and other technologies. SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2 offers the industry’s only role specific support through dedicated interfaces for business analysts, QA professionals and developers – delivering unparalleled new levels of test automation collaboration. 

By making it possible to create and run more tests in less time for less cost, SilkTest is a cornerstone of the Micro Focus approach to help you deliver better software faster and enable you to validate the quality of systems as they are changed. 

Highlights of SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2:

• Japanese localization – SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2 provides a localized installation, UIs and technology support in Japanese. The localized version of the SilkTest WorkBench provides an innovative visual testing approach that involves no coding. For developers and testers looking for more powerful and flexible scripting solutions the localized versions of Silk4J and Silk4Net provide integrations into the leading development environments in Java and .Net respectively.

• Firefox 4  support – SilkTest 2010 R2 W2 provides support for testing Web 2.0 applications with Firefox 4. 

• 64-bit support for .Java applications – SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2 adds support for testing 64 bit Java applications. 

• SAP 7.2 support— SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2 provides support for SAP 7.2 applications. 

SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2 also introduces preliminary support for testing Web 2.0 applications with Internet Explorer 9.

More general information including a product trial of SilkTest 2010 R2 WS 2 is available here. For more technical information please refer to the online documentation at TechPubs or contact Micro Focus SupportLine. For information on how to upgrade to SilkTest please contact your account executive.

The future of the mainframe: A CIO survey by The Standish Group

Standish Group recently undertook a survey of CIOs at Fortune 1000 companies about their use of the mainframe to discover what they believe the future holds for the mainframe.

What does the future hold for the mainframe? It’s a question that’s frequently asked and to provide some answers once and for all the Standish Group recently undertook a survey of CIOs at Fortune 1000 companies about their use of the mainframe.

The survey findings give valuable insight into the perceptions and intentions of the CIOs:

  • 70% said that while the mainframe plays a strategic role in their organization today, in five years NONE of the CIOs considered that the mainframe would play a central role
  • 59% propose to migrate core mainframe applications to a Windows, UNIX or Linux platform
  • 78% are either currently engaged in a modernization exercise or plan to be within 18 months – leaving 22% without a modernization plan.

This is just a snapshot of the main findings, you can read more detail here

With over 600 successful migrations, Micro Focus has an unparalleled pedigree in proven mainframe modernization strategies and experiences To learn more about mainframe migration and the benefits it delivers, click here to download the white paper Survival of the Fittest, which explores three proven modernization strategies in detail.

MAXIMUS customer success

Requirements driven testing in practice.

Health and human services business process outsourcing provider, MAXIMUS, needed a comprehensive software delivery solution to address the challenges associated with operating mission critical health delivery systems for their government client.  Find out why they chose the Micro Focus solution for requirements driven testing.

View the customer success.